The International English Language Testing System popularly known as IELTS is prominent globally with English speakers as a second language as evidence of their expertise. IELTS is mutually managed and owned by the British Council, Cambridge English Language Assessment, and IDP Education Australia. If you wish to take admission to a college or university, apply to business firms, or enroll for a visa from government organizations in different countries. Whether it is the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, or Canada, the IELTS examination can help you attain your career, education, or life goals.
What is the importance of IELTS exam?
Even if you are applying for work, study, or a visa, the IELTS test is similar in terms of examiners, content, format, difficulty level, and scoring. If you don’t find your test results satisfactory, there is no restriction on how often you can retake the exam. Though, it is recommended to take out some time and study more before appearing for your next attempt. In several countries, language classes and preparatory courses are offered by test centers, but you can also look for the same online. The learning resources that will help you replenish your knowledge and explain how to prepare for the test in the best way.
The Academic IELTS test is needed for college or university admission, while the General Training IELTS is aimed at career and immigration purposes. Following are IELTS importance and the benefits of writing IELTS exam:
Why IELTS is important for education?
If studying abroad interests you, don’t forget that several universities globally and all colleges and universities in the UK acknowledge IELTS exam results. So, what is the importance of the IELTS exam?
If you are planning for a postgraduate or even an undergraduate degree program, you should definitely appear for the Academic IELTS test.
What is the IELTS exam used for? The General Training IELTS exam is acceptable for courses that do not award a degree. Find your preferred university or college and confirm which version of IELTS is the right one for you.
As a future international student, you will need to manifest that you are well proficient and can successfully conclude a degree program instructed in the English language. As a result, you will need a good IELTS score to apply for progressive degree programs such as a Ph.D. or Masters in any field of your choice.
IELTS for employment
Providing evidence of your proficiency in a language is a remarkable step in attaining a visa so that you can start working overseas. Language skills are one of the most essential prerequisites for career success and are recognized as a valued asset. If you are applying for a work visa, you must accomplish either ‘vocational’ English or ‘competent’ English language skills, which means you will have to be ready for more than just basic conversational English.
There are varied test scores to work in different countries
- For the UK, candidates must accomplish at least 6.5 on each of the four sections of the test including Writing, Speaking, Reading, and Listening.
- In Australia, an exam score of 5 is recognized as ’vocational English’ level. A candidate with a band score of 6 is considered as a ’competent English’ speaker.
- For working in New Zealand, work permit aspirants must secure an overall score of at least 4 or higher in the IELTS Academic or general module. You can also hand over additional proofs of English language abilities, for instance, details about countries you have previously lived in, family’s proficiency in English, etc.
- In Canada, candidates should confirm directly with the companies they want to apply for the IELTS score prerequisites. Managers as well as educational institutions mostly set their own language requirements.
In all the above-mentioned countries, you should consider that minimal score requirements may vary depending on your preferred occupation. For some lines of work, candidates must bring about a minimum of 6 in each of the testing modules, whereas for educators, for instance, a minimum score of 7 is mandatory.
IELTS for immigration
Government departments use the IELTS test as part of their application processes to obtain the right to permanent residence or to attain citizenship. They examine language expertise to be firmly linked to people’s ability to merge into society and the workplace. Many people wonder, is IELTS compulsory for immigration purposes? The IELTS test is trusted by immigration authorities and plays a crucial role in using language evaluation as a medium to manage migration numbers.
The UK-government has authorized the Secure English Language Test (SELT) as part of the visa application procedure. The exam is recognized as IELTS Life Skills or ‘IELTS for UKVI’. This represents that IELTS can be used to confirm your English language expertise in support of a UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) application. The IELTS Life Skills test requests you to display your listening and speaking skills. You will be provided with a pass or fail result at the end of the exam.
- Immigration to New Zealand requests an IELTS band score of 6.5 in either the Academic or General Training IELTS modules. This is compulsory for a visa application.
- Canada acknowledges IELTS, but you first need to accomplish the Canadian Language Benchmarks standard.
- Australia appreciates both Competent and Vocational English by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
We hope all your questions regarding the IELTS exam such as why IELTS, IELTS importance, why do we need IELTS, what is the use of IELTS exam, etc are all answered. Now, you can definitely start your preparation for the IELTS exam which usually takes approximately 6-8 weeks. Stay confident, maintain a positive attitude and put your best foot forward!