A Letter of Recommendation (LOR) is often a crucial part of the application process in college, whether you are applying for a master’s degree or an undergraduate degree. Having good letters of recommendation can turn the admission decision in your favour as it greatly enhances your academic profile. In many universities, submitting a LOR is a necessary prerequisite to complete the application process. A good LOR can help you secure admission to your dream college which in turn helps you to gain your dream job or career prospects. Schools rely on more than just test scores and resumes to determine the quality of your application, a full-backing of your talents and qualities by a professional goes a long way into making your application better. This is because it helps them determine what your past professors and employers think of your talents and credibilities. Hence, it is crucial to secure a good LOR before submitting your application form. So, in this article, we will look at some of the best LOR samples for a college application.
Note that often, top universities ask candidates to send in at least 2-3 letters of recommendation along with their application forms. This varies from course to course, so research thoroughly about the best LOR samples for masters and best LOR samples for MS and UG.
Who Writes A Recommendation Letter? |Best LOR Samples
A recommendation letter you submit along with your application form should be from someone with genuine authority and goodwill whose word will be considered neutral and trustworthy. It is recommended to not get such letters written by a family member as it may reek of bias and not be taken seriously by the application perusers. You can refer to the following criteria to determine who is the ideal person to get an LOR from :-
- A person who knows you well
- Someone with good academic credentials and achievements.
- Someone who is a senior professor in your current course
- Someone who already has the degree you are applying for.
- Someone who has pursued advanced higher education and been your boss or supervisor in a job or internship.
- A person who has evaluated your academics in an exam.
Following these guidelines will help you select the best LOR samples for masters to refer to for your final letter.
Whether you are writing a LOR or getting it written by a professor or supervisor, it is important to keep a few specific formats and samples in mind to know what to write in the letter or what to get written. Given below are a few samples for an ideal LOR from the point of view of someone who is writing it. If you are getting it written from someone, you can ask them to refer to them as well.
Best LOR samples-
If you are an Indian student who needs help with student loans, all you have to do is fill the form in this blog.
These are the best LOR samples for MS, PG and UG to refer to.
It is important to keep in mind the basic format of an LOR and its must-have elements, after which you can take a few liberties with the rest of the letter. Do refer to the following format and follow the best LOR samples tips
- Writing the name of the student or employer with the recommender’s name at the end.
- The first paragraph must describe the position and personality of the student.
- The main body should contain the positive qualities, achievements and the recommender’s thoughts on the applicant.
- The letter should also mention the relationship the recommender has with the applicant.
Tips For Writing LOR | Best LOR Samples
Here are a few best LOR samples tips that can help you to write a good LOR-
- Follow the LOR guidelines of the university
- The information in a LOR should verify all the claims in your Statement of Purpose.
- If you need more than 1 LOR, try to get the letters from people associated with different spheres of your academic and professional life.
- All your skills and qualities listed in the LOR should be backed by real-life examples for eg. a job role or project you handled well.
- Choose your recommender carefully according to the application needs.
We hope you enjoyed this blog on the best LOR samples. To know more about related fields, do check out our other blogs.