Ireland is a wonderful study destination for international students because of its rich culture, magnificent scenery and kind people. It is also one of the safest places to study and live in. The student housing in Ireland is also a convenient place for international students to pursue study experiencing the comfort of home! International students from non-EU countries who wish to study in Ireland will need to apply for an Irish student visa. A student can apply for an Ireland student visa only after being accepted by an Irish university, as their acceptance letter will be necessary throughout the visa application procedure. But, before you get on a plane to Ireland, many questions will cross your mind regarding an Ireland student visa. This blog will answer all your questions and make your visa process easier.
|Ireland Study Visa Overview
|C-Type Visa: For study duration less than 90 days
D-Type Visa: For study duration more than 90 days
|Single Entry D Visa: €60
Multiple Entry D Visa: €100
Single Entry C Visa: €60
Multiple Entry C Visa: €100
|Financial requirements: 7,000-10,000 EUR funds
English proficiency: IELTS 5.0 overall or equivalent
Letter of application
Fee payment proof
English test scores
Financial support proof
Previous visa refusals info
|Filling online application form
|Irish passport holders: 5 working days
Non-Irish passport holders: 7 working days
Advantages Of An Ireland Study Visa
An Ireland study visa is specifically made for students and does not require its holder to become a citizen of Ireland. As a result, international students gain many advantages with an Ireland student visa while studying at a university.
- Attending a reputable Irish university without any difficulties.
- Gain access to Ireland’s world of innovation and research.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to gain valuable job experience and exposure in the industry.
- Stay and study in Ireland for the given period.
- Take on part-time work for up to 20 hours per week during the school year or up to 40 hours per week during the college Irish vacation months.
- The study visa increases the chances of getting Ireland permanent residency in the future.
Types Of Student Visas In Ireland
The Ireland study visa for Indian students varies depending on your nationality. You must apply for a visa to study in Ireland if you are not from the EU or EEA. There are two types of visas available for Ireland:
C-Type Study Visa: When your study programme/course will last less than 3 months, i.e. 90 days, you will need a C-type study visa.
D-Type Study Visa: When your study programme/course will last more than 3 months, you will need a D-type study visa.
The type of visa you’ll require will be determined by the length of your degree. Hence, as soon as you obtain your admission letter, you can choose among the several types of Ireland student visas.
Ireland Visa Fees & Charges
Individuals applying for a long-stay D Study Visa in Ireland must pay €60 for a single entry valid for 90 days and €100 for a long-stay D Visa with multiple entries. The visa fees are identical for the short-stay C Visa. The table given below highlights the Ireland study visa costs for different entry types:
|Long Stay D visa (for staying more than 90 days to study)
|Short Stay C visa (for staying less than 90 days to study)
|€60 (INR: 5421.87)
|€60 (INR: 5421.87)
|€100 (INR: 9036.45)
|€100 (INR: 9036.45)
|€25 (INR: 2259.11)
Ireland Study Visa Requirements For Indian Students
Any international student who has received a letter of acceptance from a recognised Irish university is entitled to apply for a student visa in Ireland. At the visa office, any letter with missing steps or tentative confirmation is not accepted. To apply for an Ireland student visa, you must also be able to pass the English language proficiency exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, and others. Go through the following financial and language Ireland visa requirements for Indian students:
Financial Requirements For Ireland Student Visa
To satisfy the financial requirements for an Ireland student visa, applicants must provide evidence demonstrating their ability to support themselves during their stay in Ireland without depending on public funds. Cost of studying in Ireland is quite expensive. The proof of funds validate that you are capable of paying for the Ireland education avoiding defaults. Given below are some of the financial requirements:
- It is recommended to show a minimum of 7,000 EUR to 10,000 EUR in available funds. This may involve submitting a comprehensive six-month bank statement, reflecting sufficient financial stability.
- Additionally, there are many scholarships in Ireland for Indian students, if you are awarded one it is necessary to furnish official documentation verifying the scholarship’s receipt.
Ireland Study Visa IELTS Requirements
English language proficiency, demonstrated through a PTE, TOEFL, or IELTS score, is a compulsory requirement for an Ireland student visa. The certificate must be internationally recognised and issued within two years of the course’s anticipated start date.
|Minimum Score Required
Documents Required For Ireland Student Visa
When it comes to Ireland study visa requirements, Ireland is strict. It has a large list of requirements to follow through. Below is a list of documents required for Ireland student visa that you should be aware of before applying for one:
|Two colour passport-sized photographs not more than 6 months old, as per the specifications on INIS website
|Passport and previous passports
|Current passport and copies of all previous passports
|Letter of application
|A signed letter including full contact details
|Course enrollment evidence
|Proof of enrollment in a privately funded course
|Educational history documentation
|Evidence accounting for any gaps in educational history
|Fee payment evidence
|Proof of payment of college fees
|Academic ability evidence
|Documentation demonstrating academic aptitude for chosen course
|English proficiency evidence
|Evidence of English proficiency, such as TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE test scores
|Financial support evidence
|Proof of funds to cover living expenses and tuition fees, as per specified requirements
|Private Medical Insurance
|Documentation of private medical insurance coverage
|Previous Visa Refusals
|Any documentation related to previous visa refusals
|Agreement of return
|A written agreement stating the intention to return to the home country after completing studies in Ireland
How To Obtain A Student Visa In Ireland?
You have up to 3 months before your arrival date in Ireland to apply for a student visa. The steps to apply for a student visa to study in Ireland are outlined below.
- You can apply for an Ireland Study Visa up to 3 months before your planned travel date. It’s recommended not to finalise your travel arrangements until you’ve received your visa.
- Applicants need to visit the official website of the Irish Immigration Service to create their online student visa application through AVATS.
- Visa applicants must complete the online application form, then print and sign it.
- Candidates should then schedule an appointment with the Visa Facilitation Service (VFS) and pay the Ireland Visa Application fee.
- Applicants must gather supporting documents and follow the instructions provided on the summary application form generated by the system. The summary application sheet will include your application transaction number, which is important for future reference.
- After completing the payment and appointment booking process, you’ll receive payment and appointment confirmation receipts via email. Make sure to print these receipts and bring them to your appointment at VFS or the Embassy of Ireland.
- Lastly, await the outcome of your visa application.
Ireland Visa Appointment
After you have submitted your documents and applied for the Ireland Study Visa, the main stage where most of the study visas get rejected is the appointment stage. Prepare for your Ireland Student Visa application appointment by keeping these key points in mind:
- Arrive at the visa application centre 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Ensure you have all required documents with you.
- Upon arrival at the visa application centre, obtain a token and wait for your token number to be called to proceed with your application.
- After completing the visa filing process, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt.
Ireland Student Visa Processing Time
Each visa application is handled individually by the Embassy, so processing times may differ even for similar applications. Given below is a generic overview of the processing time for Irish and Non-Irish passport holders:
For Irish passport holders: If all aspects of the application are complete, it typically takes 5 working days from the submission date at the Embassy.
For non-Irish passport holders: Processing usually takes 7 working days from the submission date at the Embassy.
Its a wrap! Hope this blog covered everything about the Ireland Student Visa and helped you understand the nitty-gritty of it. If you have read through the end, don’t forget to visit UniCreds! We help you get education loan for Ireland, USA, UK, New Zealand and more at a lesser processing fee and faster approvals.
Q1. Is Ireland’s student visa easy to get?
Obtaining an Ireland student visa may seem straightforward, yet it entails one of the most time-consuming processes when pursuing studies in Ireland. It’s crucial to initiate the visa application promptly upon receiving unconditional acceptance from your chosen educational institution.
Q2. Can I get PR in Ireland after studying?
Non-EU, including Indian, students can obtain permanent residency in Ireland by meeting criteria such as residing for at least 5 years, holding a valid work permit, and maintaining stable employment, reflecting Ireland’s ample opportunities for international students.
Q3. How much money is required for a student visa in Ireland?
Individuals seeking a long-stay D Study Visa in Ireland must pay €60 for a single entry lasting 90 days and €100 for a long-stay D Visa, allowing multiple entries, with equivalent charges applying to the short-stay C Visa.
Q4. Is IELTS required for Ireland student visa?
To gain admission to a university in Ireland, acquiring an IELTS certification is imperative for securing an Irish study visa.
Q5. Is Ireland expensive for students?
Ireland can be relatively expensive for students due to high living costs, including accommodation and tuition fees, but there are also opportunities for part-time work to supplement income.
Looking for student Education Loans?