What is an I-20 form? An I-20 form is a part of the student visa process for the USA. It is called the Certificate of Eligibility that is issued by an accredited college or university in the USA for international students studying in the country on either an F-1 student visa or M-1 student visa. In this article, we will take an in-depth look at all the documents required for an i20 visa.
The I-20 visa proves that you are a legitimate international student in the USA and is a crucial component in getting your final student visa. Once you have a student visa, you become eligible for an international driver’s license and to work on or off-campus, depending on its type.
You receive your I-20 form or visa from your designated school official (DSO) once you are enrolled into a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified US college university. The DSO is the one with the responsibility to sign and hand over the i20 visa to you, and update any changes to it via the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).
Types of i20 Visa and its Features
The 2 types of i20 forms issued to international students depending on their type of student visa are-
- Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Students
- Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status – For Vocational Students
Once you are accepted to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified US college or a university, you will receive an I-20 form from the designated school official (DSO) at the school or university where you plan to enroll. The DSO is responsible for signing and delivering the I-20 form student visa USA to you. If you want to update your information on the I-20 form student visa, the DSO will make the changes through SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).
There are two types of I-20 forms issued to international students, depending on the type of visa:
- Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For academic and language students
- Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status – For vocational students
If you are an Indian student who needs help with student loans, all you have to do is fill the form in this blog.
The 2 different types of i20 forms contain the same information, including the following-
- SEVIS ID number
- Course start and end dates
- The course opted for
- Funding resources
- Cost of attending the college
- Other personal information
Know About Student Loans Germany
Documents required for i20 Visa
To procure the i20 form, you need to produce your passport copy and i20 financial documents . Here is a comprehensive list of the documents required for i20 Visa
- Bank Statement– A documental proof from the bank which holds your student account. It is a crucial part of the i20 financial documents.
- Loan Sanction Letters- The official sanction letters of any letters you may have procured from a bank This is one of the important i20 visa requirements.
- Business sponsors– Official proof that you have a business sponsor backing you financially.
- Proof that you intend to return back to your country- This means presenting proof that after the completion of your program, you will return to your home country. This proof can consist of land papers, jewellery, etc. This is one of the main i20 financial requirements.
- Original Evidence of financial resources- You need to produce solid proof of having enough financial resources and sponsors to fund your academic program. This is one of the crucial i20 visa requirements
- Proof of one’s relationship to the sponsor- You will also need to present proof of what relationship you share with your financial sponsor if you have one. It is one of the important documents required for i20.
- Copy of your international passport– It is one of the important documents required for i20
In section 7 of your i20 form, you will need to present proof of the immediate financial resources you have to fund your first year at college.
Make sure that your financial documents required for i20 visa follow a majority of the following guidelines for i20 financial requirements
- You must opt to show liquid assets that are easily convertible to cash as proof
- The date of issuance must be less than 6 months old
- The document must either be in English or be officially translated.
- It must state the currency of the funds.
Know More About Prodigy Finance Education Loan
The i20 form is valid throughout your stay in the USA, but in case it expires early apply for the renewal before the mentioned expiration date. After receiving the form you will be eligible to apply for an F1 or M1 student visa appointment. For this you will need to apply 120 days before the date mentioned on the I-20 form.
1.How much bank balance is required for USA student visa?
There is no specific minimum bank balance required for a US student visa, but it is generally recommended to have at least USD 10,000 in your bank account, which should be reflected in your previous 6-9 months of statements.
2.How many months bank statement is required for I-20?
Bank statements or bank letters must be dated within the past 6 months and include the following information like bank letterhead or bank name, name of the account holder.
3.Who is eligible for Form I-20?
All international students studying in the US, require a Form I-20, which serves as a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” After being accepted into a school certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), students will receive a Form I-20 from their designated school official (DSO).
4.Can I book visa slot without I-20?
To schedule your visa interview, ensure you have the I-20 or DS-2019 beforehand, allowing ample time for the document to arrive. Remember that the visa itself cannot be issued more than 120 days before your program start date.
5.Can I show FD as proof of funds for I-20?
Yes, the financial documents required for the I-20 include personal or sponsor’s bank statements, provident funds, and fixed deposits.
We hope you enjoyed this blog on the documents required for an i20 visa. To know more about related fields, do check out our other blogs.